Wearing your pearls
- Always apply perfume, hair and body cosmetics before wearing pearls;
- Avoid contact with acidic foods such as fruit juices and salad dressings. If you want to see what happens to a pearl when exposed to acids, read our post Following in Cleopatra's Footsteps.
- Remove your pearls before you begin your evening cleansing routines;
- Remove pearls before showering or swimming in chlorinated water;
- Remove your pearls before working out or doing housework.
Cleaning your pearls
- After wearing pearls, always wipe them down with a soft, dry cloth;
- Wash them occasionally in soapy water, and then pat them dry. It is best to use an extra mild baby soap for this purpose;
- Never clean your pearls in an ultrasonic cleaner, it is very damaging to their surface!
- Don’t use chemical cleaners with ammonia, bleach, or baking soda as they react chemically with the pearl surface;
- Never clean your pearls with a toothbrush or abrasive pad.
Caring for your pearls
- Store your pearls in a soft pouch, away from metallic jewelry, to avoid scratching them;
- Avoid storing your pearls in extremely dry places as they may lose their shine;
- Have your pearl necklace or bracelet restrung at least once every two years.
Caring for your pearls is essential, so with each order at Love My Pearls, you can be sure to receive a free pearl cleaning kit. Each shiny packet includes pearl two cleaning tissues generously soaked in a gentle cleaning solution and an ultra-soft microfibre pearl polishing cloth that will give you perfect results every time.
Simply swipe your jewels using one of the moist tissues then dry them with the polishing cloth. Our kit has one advantage over soaking your pearls in a soapy water - it prevents you from wetting the pearl necklace thread too much, which keeps your strands in good condition for longer.
Do you have your own well-tested and carefree pearl care routine?